Monday, October 26, 2009

RGR010 - The Candle of Darkness

Soon after I arrived in the town where this Bymon fellow lives, I was informed that the Candle of Darkness, an item I would need to be able to meet Majorita, was stolen, and was currently hidden in the Desert of Destitution. I also ran into a tough-acting little imp who challenged me to a battle, and when I pummeled and humiliated him, he rewarded me with the Armor of Guile, which increased my hit points to an impressive four. With the imp out of the way, I was able to enter Bymon's quarters, where he never actually asked me to retrieve the candle, but I was once again given a yes/no prompt. When I said yes, Bymon insulted me... I think. I'm not sure that "chicken-hearted" really offends me. The second time, I said no, and Bymon called me brave and offered to lead me to Majorita if I could get the candle back. So I set out east to begin the search.

Uh, thanks?
Uh, thanks?
Show of hands; who didn't expect that?
Show of hands; who didn't expect that?

But you're so tiny!
But you're so tiny!
I prefer the Armor of Blanka.
I prefer the Armor of Blanka.

Oh, I'll find a way.
Oh, I'll find a way.
Yeah, I heard about the candle. Bummer.
Yeah, I heard about the candle. Bummer.

But I think I agreed to go get it back...
But I think I agreed to go get it back...
Okay, I'm confused now.
Okay, I'm confused now.

The Desert of Destitution is a maze of shifting sands, where one false step sends you hurtling away from your destination: a cave in the middle of the northern part of the desert. With time and perseverance, though, I found my way in. The cave began with a vertical drop through a spike-lined shaft, with the occasional bare wall to cling to in order to replenish my flight power; after dodging bees and patches of upward-pointing spikes, I reached the next area of the cave. Here, I had to navigate pits of quicksand with piranha skeletons, a chase from a flying flytrap, and yet more spikes to get to the boss.

Fourth Boss: Zakkudruzer

I may have just gotten lucky and quickly driven him into a pattern, but Zakkudruzer seemed far too easy. He's land-based, which gives me a bit of an advantage, though he can jump fairly high. But he jumps at specific intervals, and can only change direction at the time of a jump, so I was able to lead him underneath me, and keep him on the lowest level of the room for most of the battle. Each time he jumped, I'd fire at him a few times, and then hop up to the top platforms to wait for him to pass under me. After several passes back and forth, he was done for. I never even took damage; since I got there with one hit point left, I couldn't afford to.

After defeating Zakkudruzer, I exited the desert cave with the Candle of Darkness, and also obtained the Power of Claw, which allows me to fire a sticky, fast-drying substance that latches on to spiked walls, giving me the ability to scale them safely. I really could have used that inside the cave. I brought the candle back to Bymon, who turned my attention to a hidden passage in his chamber that led to Majorita's cave. I lit the Candle of Darkness at the altar in the center of her room, and she appeared, telling me the legend of the Red Blaze, and informing me that it was not some mystical power, but a gargoyle (and a mutant one at that). She also said one remained of the Red Blaze's bloodline... you can see where that's going. Some of Breager's henchmen appeared to try to prevent me from getting out of the cave alive, but come on.

I'm the new Red Blaze; henchmen mean nothing to me now.

You don't look so tough.
You don't look so tough.
And it looks like you weren't.
And it looks like you weren't.

Well, NOW it's destitute.
Well, NOW it's destitute.
Ooh, I like secret passages!
Ooh, I like secret passages!

Sorry, it's not up to you, or Breager.
Sorry, it's not up to you, or Breager.
Well, not just any candle.
Well, not just any candle.

Hey, this candle is broken!
Hey, this candle is broken!
Hmm... I wonder who it could be...
Hmm... I wonder who it could be...

Then why'd you let her tell me?
Then why'd you let her tell me?
What shocking news!
What shocking news!

So now I have to head even farther east to meet up with this Rushifell guy, who will hopefully help me unlock the rest of my abilities.

The end is nigh; I told you it'd be a quick one.

No comments:

Post a Comment