Tuesday, September 1, 2009

RGR009 - Stupid Shears


The level above the Magic Key room was some sort of pharaoh's treasure room, and it looks like the thieves who had been here before us never made it past the giant door there, which required the Magic Key. But it wasn't easy pickings, as every chest in the room was cursed, and opening each led to a battle with a group of four Mummy Men. At this point, they're not that tough, and we can take them down in one turn. Still, it took two trips to get through all twelve chests, since Theron ran low on magic partway through the set.

Beyond the treasure room was another floor with a single chest, but that chest only contained the Flashy Clothes, and no one in my party can wear them. So we headed up the next set of stairs, which led to the outside of the pyramid. There was nothing to do there, so we jumped off and headed back to Isis.

I'll bet that's a special chest...
I'll bet that's a special chest...
...or maybe not.
...or maybe not.

Well, I'm Ryan, and these are my friends.
Well, I'm Ryan, and these are my friends.
Scenic!
Scenic!

Through several trips to the pyramid, we had amassed quite a bit of gold, so we were pretty well equipped by the time we returned to Isis. However, there was one weapon that we hadn't yet checked out: the Giant Shears. We had just enough money left over to get a pair, but I had no idea who'd be able to equip it. Luckily, when you choose a party member to hold onto the weapon, the shopkeeper tells you whether or not that person can use it.

The problem is, they'll let you give that person the weapon regardless of whether or not they can use it, and I accidentally hit the A button when I got the chance. So the shopkeeper wound up selling the shears to Viron, though he couldn't use them. So I figured I'd just have him hand them to the next guy, and the next guy, and so on until someone was able to equip them. The item menu options are thus, in order:

Use
Transfer
Discard

But Dragon Warrior III's menu controls are slightly different from the previous games in that holding up or down makes the cursor slide up or down the list, rather than requiring a separate key press for each item. So where I meant to only move down to Transfer, I accidentally selected Discard. And the game doesn't ask you if you're sure you want to discard the item.

Hey, where'd all our money go?
Hey, where'd all our money go?

So now we've got next to no gold, and I accidentally threw away the Giant Shears that I accidentally bought in the first place. I screamed in frustration when it happened, but I guess it's not that bad, since money's pretty easy to come by around here. I'm sure I'll have tens of thousands of gold pieces saved up in no time.

Note to self: make sure the cursor is pointing to the right item before pressing the A button. Seriously. Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment