Wednesday, April 29, 2009

RGR Game #006: Bonk's Revenge

Revenge? For what?
Revenge? For what?

As soon as I started Bonk's Adventure, I knew I'd be opening a can of worms. After all, the game's got two official sequels and a spinoff shmup. But that's just the way it goes, so I'm going to go with the flow here and move on to Bonk's Revenge. I should point out that Bonk isn't actually seeking revenge for anything; it was just a questionable choice for a title.

Anyway, the story involves King Drool III, the grandson of King Drool from the first game, constructing a floating fortress out of the top half of the moon. Now it's up to Bonk to beat up the bad guys and make the moon whole once again. At least that's what I infer from the game itself, as the intro given in the instructions almost seems to be describing a different game.

The game itself plays exactly like the first one, with some powerup tweaks, including the ability to freeze enemies with projectiles, breathe fire, and destroy all enemies on the screen with a head drop to the ground. Bonk's appearance has also changed in his most powered-up form, which is best known as Butthead Bonk. See below for the reason.

Note: this batch of screenshots isn't the best, as they've been resized, but they'll do in a pinch. I swear I'll do better next time.

Why would I just play part of the game?
Why would I just play part of the game?
Uhh... NSFW?
Uhh... NSFW?

Yes, Bonk, hop inside the suspicious contraption!
Yes, Bonk, hop inside the
suspicious contraption!
That CAN'T be good for your teeth.
That CAN'T be good for your teeth.


Round 1 Boss: Dodogie

Dodogie's your average crotchety old giant tortoise with a volcano for a shell. Nothing special. He's also very easy to beat, as his only attack involves launching flaming rocks, six at a time, into the air. They fall slowly enough that they're easy to dodge. He then pulls his head and tail out of his shell and stands there absent-mindedly, giving you plenty of time to beat up on him. Just stay away from his spiked tail!

Is that ear hair?
Is that ear hair?
Foiled again!
Foiled again!

Round 2 Boss: Witch Doctor

The Witch Doctor isn't tough to beat, with the only difficulty being the initial jump to get high enough to drop onto him. His attacks consist of wildly trampling you, and some sort of beam which he fires using a targeting reticule on his front horn. I never got hit by it, but I suspect it turns you to stone. Just avoid the beam and jump when he comes at you, and hit him all you can. Easy enough.

Ting tang...
Ting tang...
Walla-walla bing-bang!
Walla-walla bing-bang!

According to the instructions, I've only got 3 continues, so from here on out, I'll be trying to maximize my score to stock up on extra lives. I'd like to clear this one without continuing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment