Sunday, July 19, 2009

RGR007 - The Thrilling Conclusion!

The Final Tower was a bit of a pain, mainly because of its size, but also because there are a few rooms with pits that drop you all the way down to the ground floor. Luckily, my maps guided me back to where I needed to be every time. Hooray maps!

After swearing and going back up several times, I finally made it to the boss room. I actually didn't get a chance to map out a good chunk of the top floor, since you can't go back once you reach the boss corridor. There, the Dragon (aka the Wizard) greeted me with his best pre-final-battle spiel.

This has to be one of the most disappointing final boss battles in the history of final boss battles. The Dragon barely shimmies from side to side, occasionally shooting a short stream of fireballs at you. These are easily jumped over. So you jump over the fireballs, hit him in the "base of the neck" (which really just means the general head region), and back off a bit to wait for the next stream of fireballs. He takes around six hits to defeat. That's it.

With the Dragon defeated and the Wizard's spirit once again sealed inside the Legendary Sword, I roamed around a bit to see what the townspeople had to say. They all just had words of thanks, so it wasn't very exciting. Once I reached the castle, I presented the king with the sword, and he offered me the princess' hand in marriage again. I politely declined, saying I needed to return to my homeland, and the princess decided to follow me. Funny, I don't remember being okay with that. Finally, the credits rolled with images of some people I met along the way, and of my journey back home with the princess.

Hey, neat dragon!
Hey, neat dragon!
He's been practicing his villainese.
He's been practicing his villainese.

I want a sequel too.
I want a sequel too.
He barely moved.
He barely moved.

My mighty inventory!
My mighty inventory!
Oh, what an ending.
Oh, what an ending.

And away we go!
And away we go!
You guys get a staff roll this time!
You guys get a staff roll this time!

This marks the end of game #007, Faria: A World of Mystery and Danger! Stay tuned for the next exciting installment of Retro Gamer Ryan!

I may just have a guest player for the next game!

1 comment:

  1. Staff roll was a nice touch!
    The art style in some of those screens is very Ranma 1/2.

    ReplyDelete