Thursday, August 6, 2009

RGR009 - Magic Balls

Once we were comfortable enough with our abilities, we decided to set out to look for the Cave on the Promontory. It was actually not far at all from Aliahan Castle (a little over the width of one screen as the crow flies, I suppose). Inside, the enemies weren't much tougher than those outside, although they did gather in larger numbers. The cave led to a series of fancy passages with green brick walls, one of which appeared to lead to the castle's prison. The passage was blocked by a locked door, so I feel much safer. Strangely, we found an inn here, in the midst of all the monsters. Convenient, but very odd.

In the center of the passages was a staircase which led up to the ground floor of the Tower of Najima. The tower was fairly simple, with just a few winding passages that just looped around and led to treasure chests full of gold. Eventually, we found the mysterious man who stole the Thief's Key, just standing there waiting for us to show up so he could give the key to us.

Does anyone have a flashlight?
Does anyone have a flashlight?
Oh, it's not that dark in here.
Oh, it's not that dark in here.

Ooh, an underwater passage!
Ooh, an underwater passage!
Intimidating decorations!
Intimidating decorations!

I can see my house from here!
I can see my house from here!
How do you keep the monsters out of here?
How do you keep the monsters out of here?

I has a key!
I has a key!
I WONDER WHAT I SHOULD DO NEXT.
I WONDER WHAT I SHOULD DO NEXT.

With Thief's Key in hand, we headed back to the castle and opened every door we could find. Most of the people behind those doors spoke of a Magic Ball that could open a passage leading to a Travel Door. The passage was said to be in the Cave of Enticement to the east, near a spring. The Magic Ball was said to be in the town of Reeve to the northwest.

So we swung by Reeve and picked up the Magic Ball (it was wholely uneventful), and then made our way to the Cave of Enticement. The trip was rough, and we lost Theron along the way (his max HP is pathetically low, and growing slowly with each level), but we eventually reached the Travel Door and teleported to the next continent. Once we emerged from the cave on the other side, a short walk brought us to the castle of Romaly.

One thing: the "Magic Ball" was really just a simple bomb; people didn't understand things like chemistry and explosives back then, so they assumed it was all magic.

That wasn't magic, it was science!
That wasn't magic, it was science!
Hey, they had these in the last game!
Hey, they had these in the last game!

Next-gen special effects today!
Next-gen special effects today!
Someone needs to dust in here.
Someone needs to dust in here.

Another castle! Is the princess here?
Another castle!
Is the princess here?
I guess word travels faster than we do.
I guess word travels faster than we do.


What colorful enemies...
What colorful enemies...
Tonight only! The Humanabat 4!
Tonight only! The Humanabat 4!

I think I'm going to spend a bit of time here leveling up and upgrading my weapons and armor before heading out. Yeah, it's boring, but I've been nearly wiped out on several occasions by regular enemy parties, so I need to beef up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment