Tuesday, December 8, 2009

RGR015 - Sticking With the Formula

After a bit of a delay, Masato and Mizuki have returned to the Fortress to finish the job they were sent in to do. The final stage went much more smoothly the second time, mainly because I sort of remembered the path. I also made better use of the medpacks scattered around this time, so by the time I reached the plasma ball leading to the boss, Masato was full-powered, and Mizuki had only lost one unit of life (I flubbed a jump over some spikes on the way back from grabbing a medpack for Masato). I decided to start the battle with the boss as Mizuki, expecting her to die and let Masato finish the job.

Restart, you mean.
Restart, you mean.
We meet again, plasma ball.
We meet again, plasma ball.

Final Sub-Boss: Hovercraft

I was much more wary of the Hovercraft's movements this time, since I already knew it could pin me to the wall and kill me. So I tried to stay beside it and fire grenades diagonally at it. Luckily, this is another one of those bosses that takes damage no matter where it's hit. Its missiles weren't a threat, but I still had to be on my toes when it started moving toward me and charging forward. It would also fire its machine gun at me as it charged, but some careful dodging kept Mizuki alive.

After destroying the hovercraft, I found myself back on the first floor, in a walled-off section of room I couldn't access before. Just like the first game, the final stage had a sub-boss with an extra bit of stage before the final boss. I blew a hole in the floor and dropped down, fought off a few normal-ish enemies, and blew up another plasma ball.

This was the last thing I remember.
This was the last thing I remember.
But I like the way it ended this time.
But I like the way it ended this time.

But wait, there's more!
But wait, there's more!
Ooh, I'm in the inner sanctum!
Ooh, I'm in the inner sanctum!

Final Boss: Massive Turret

The final boss was kind of a disappointment. It was very large, but completely immobile, and its pattern was easy to get the hang of. After firing three sets of missiles from its front cannons, it would pause, and then start firing the machine guns on its "hands". I could sometimes manage to get a grenade in during the missile launches, and could easily fire off two before the machine guns began firing. Starting from one lower corner of the room, it's not difficult to walk nearly full speed toward the other side to avoid the machine guns, though I did get caught off-guard once. Still, that's one point of damage I took during the entire fight.

At least the hovercraft moved.
At least the hovercraft moved.
You just blow up in place.
You just blow up in place.

That's more like it!
That's more like it!
The first game had a better ending.
The first game had a better ending.

Thanks to the heroic efforts of Masato and Mizuki, the world is most likely saved from some mysterious evil army once again. Congratulations, guys!

I believe that concludes the saga of Masato and Mizuki; Operation Logic Bomb has its own hero, a cyborg soldier named Logan. So our heroes have plenty of time to take a well-deserved vacation.

The next game is once again up in the air, but I've got a little something new coming. Kari made a teaser post about it a few weeks ago.

Are you excited? I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment